Friday, October 7, 2011

" Bilateral Total Knee Replacement/ Post Op Week 7 "

Well folks it seems like awhile since I've posted or read other blogs. Although I don't think it's been much more than a week. Time flies as they say.

The truth is that I have been gradually getting my energy and stamina back. A little here and there but none the less, I have been feeling much better.
I went back to work this week. I have been cleaning a house for a family for years now and it went better than I expected. I had the option of doing it all in one or two or even three days if I wished but I managed to get it done in one day. It only took me a half hour longer than usual. But I hadn't been there in a couple of months so there was extra work to be done.

Usually I wouldn't be able to do anything for two days after cleaning that house. But even though I was tired afterwords I managed to clean my car inside and out the next morning. Something that never would have happened before the surgery.


 


I have noticed that I have acquired  some new followers that are interested in information about the bilateral total knee replacement. I remember before the surgery, trying to find info on the web about it. There was very little. That is one of the reasons that I decided to do this series of posts.
As of this posting I will say that my biggest challenge is the stairs. Going up is easy enough especially if you remember to stand straight and lift each leg as if you are marching. I learned that on my own the hard way. Going down is quite a different matter. I was still going down using the same leg first, step by step as I had before the surgery. Part of the reason being that I still had pain in the right knee. But I also discovered upon experimentation that I was being too hard on myself. Each set of stairs in my house were different heights. So what I didn't realize until I started to experiment again was that I could go down some stairs normally and others would have to wait until I healed more.

This is all trial and error folks. I've never had a knee surgery let alone two so I have nothing to compare it with. I can say that I am happy that I did them both at the same time and except for a few hiccups, things are going very well. My legs feel very strong.
Afghan that I am trying to finish before Christmas for my son, I have my doubts!!
For anyone who is thinking of having this surgery, my biggest suggestion would be to do your leg exercises religiously BEFORE the surgery. I know that exercising is a drag but it will help you TREMENDOUSLY post-op. I am still doing them daily. The muscles that surround the knee are what is going to get the new knee moving. Without that muscle strength it's going to be far more difficult.
Now a few of my regular followers expressed some concern about me taking Celebrex since I have had two strokes a few years ago. Not to worry my friends, it's only for a few weeks and I am almost done with them. They never did help my arthritis when I tried them a few years ago so I never took them but they have helped with the swelling on my right knee tremendously.

I have to see my surgeon in two weeks. As you can see in the above photo, my stubborn scab is almost gone so I don't think we will be going back to the hospital for it's removal. Thank God, well I think it will be gone within two weeks.
So there you have it. I am almost to the 8 week mark and am doing very well. I am actually able to do things that I couldn't do before the surgery. I still get very tired and worn out in the evenings and my knees do ache in the evenings as well. But not enough that I need any medication. I can stand straight and walk without limping which is really awesome.

I am leaving you today with a photo for my friend, Naida from "Crochet mama's blog" 

It is a photo of my dog Roxy. She likes to cuddle under the covers with her mama too!!
As I said previously, I have been busy trying to get back into the groove of my life. However, I think I will have time this weekend to visit all of you. And to my new followers or any of you that may have a question about this surgery, feel free to ask. I will answer as best I can. Have a great weekend.

29 comments:

Erik's RV Blog said...

How great that you can be working again. Congrats on the knees healing so well after the right one let you down a bit. :)

Erik

jules said...

WoooHooo....I'm so glad you are doing so much better. You will be running a marathon soon. (hehehe)

Jackie said...

Those legs and knees look good, my friend! "Breakfast at Tiffany's" legs for sure!! I'm happy that each day and week is better and better for you....
Love,
Jackie

Gail said...

HI DI - oh my, the picture of your knees looks so much better than the last one - the healing is wonderful huh? I am so happy for you that you are well on your way to a full recovery.
Love Gail
peace....

Sharon said...

WoW, back to work again, that's great, Diana, good to hear. I guess you are nearly ready to do the hokey pokey pretty soon. That right knee does look almost healed, so everything seems to be a success!

Sure, you can finish that afghan by Christmas - you still have a couple months. I like that kind, looks real pretty!

Wanda..... said...

Glad that all is going so well for you, Di and that you've made so much progress....I thought it would take you till Spring! :) I also remember the long wait and how badly you wanted to have it done. You must be so happy!

Sabi Sunshine said...

Hi Dii..

I am so glad to hear that you are getting your energy back & Congratulation for getting back to work again.... Always feel good when you have your energy back.

Keep smiling and world will smile with you:)

LOve
sabi sunshine

Cindy said...

Di I think those are soon to be dancing legs. I am so glad you are feeling so well. It is amazing to be able to see the results. I am very happy for you. hugs.

Barb said...

Glad you posted, Di! Your knees are looking so much better - esp. the right. You go girl (but not too hard and fast, please...) Have a great weekend, Di.

Pramoda Meduri said...

Nice to read u and have u back here di.. looks like u r recovering happily.. keep smiling..;)

nice pics and selections.

Sandi said...

Good for you, Di! Getting back to work was a great move. Your healing is going well, and your strength is up. Sounds like life is good!

I know what you mean about the stairs. I go up amazingly well, but down can get me. Some are no problem, but the ones at the gym I go to are really a pain, coming down! But, it will be better eventually!

I was so glad to see your post! Keep taking good care of yourself!

Rob-bear said...

Great progress, your knees, and your work. And I love your caring attitude, too.
Blessings and Bear hugs as you continue to recover.

Brenda said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better! It is good to hear that you are glad you did both knees at once! You will get there. Keep plugging.

I am so thankful for good doctors.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're healing well!

quieten said...

Di,
So glad you are healing. Can't believe you are already back to work. You are my hero!!! it's so good to know that you can do things you weren't able to do before the surgery- makes it all worth it, doesn't it? Keep on keepin' on, girl! You are a star!!!!!
{{{huggz}}}

Donna's Book Nook said...

I have not been reading or posting blogs for a while either. So glad to see you healing well and doing so well. You are a trooper!

Eileen said...

Thank you for posting the pictures of your knees, Di, they look so much better than previous photos, and I like having this image in my mind when I think of them rather than those deep grooves. Healing nicely!

I'm so happy that things are returning to normal for you. I know you are busy recuperating and just getting on with the business of your life, but it's good to read here and catch up on your life!

I have a few things here I wanted to mail to you (one from two years ago! Yikes! I'm bad!). We'll be leaving for Disney, so if I don't get them in the mail before then, I promise to do it right after we get back (at least I promise not to wait another two years anyway!)

LOVE the afghan! (And Roxy too!)

And "HELLO!" to all your new followers! They are going to love you just as I do!

Take good care, Di.
Love to you,
Eileen

Leontien said...

So happy that everything gets a little more close to normal!!!

And you just have to say, cute little doggy!!!

Big hugs
Leontien

Amity said...

Hi my dearest Di,

I am so happy at the progress you're making now...and in due time you will again be the busy empty nester...:)

Just take your time, don't hurry yourself to be feeling like you can do all things like the way it used to be...:)

Best is, let your knee surgery heal totally...:)

I love you Di!

Anvilcloud said...

That's so positive. Congratulations.

Ellen said...

Praise God for your wonderful recovery. What an amazing lady you are!

Blessings!!
Ellen

Unknown said...

AHHHH that is so good to hear! I haven't had surgery and I still have not posted in a while. I am reading though! You are doing awesome and wow that time has gone by sooo fast! I really seems like you just posted about the surgery! YOU ARE WOMAN! :)

Joy said...

Diana, you are such a trooper and determined lady. I am glad that you are healing nicely and regaining strength--also doing things you had not been able to do for years. Soon, you will be leaping tall buildings in a single bound! Super-Diana!

The Bookworm said...

Glad you're doing better Diana and that your legs are getting stronger and healing.

awwww!!!! thanks for the photo of Roxy! She's adorable! If Diego saw her, he'd fall in love! lol

your sons afghan is coming along nicely :)

of course you've got new followers, your blog is a treat to visit and your sweet personality always shines through in your posts.

Barb said...

Hope all is well, Di, and that you're still getting stronger by the day. I've been thinking about you.

Ginnie said...

Hi Di: I thought of you when I was in rehab last week ...there were a lot of people there who'd had a knee replaced but none that had BOTH ... so glad you're doing well...me too, I can walk OK but have very little stamina.

Wanda..... said...

Was thinking of you today and wondering how you're doing, Di.
Take care!

Jackie said...

Di....You know that I worry when I don't hear from you...either by blog or by phone. Are you OK?
Please, take care of yourself.
Love,
Jackie

Danielle said...

Oh Di, I have missed you! I've been thinking of you often though, and I'm anxious to hear how life is coming along now that your getting around better and able to do more than you have in so long...
I hope all is well! I made some pumpkin/spice cupcakes decorated for Halloween with orange frosting and all kinds of different sprinkles, and thought of you this weekend :)
I hope to hear from you soon...

Danni