Wednesday, October 27, 2010

" It's That Time Of Year Again "



It is THAT time of year again. The leaves on the trees are showing us their awesome colors.

They are also starting to drop their leaves on the ground. Time to break out the rakes and leaf blowers.

We've also seen the beautiful Autumn moon in full.




But around my house it is also time to get the yard prepared for winter. 

My mother's wooden table and chair will be brought into the garage to preserve it from the cold and snow. The hose will be wound up and put in the garage as well. 
My bike will be brought to the basement and the mower will be winterized. The latter will please my husband to no end I'm sure!

The planters will be emptied. The Cannas will be dug up. Some of the plants will be cut down.
Around my house it is also time for the annual
"Meeting of the Gnomes"!
You see,
along with all of the yard ornaments that are to be packed away,
there are also several gnomes that will go into hiding from the cold and bitter winds.



I suppose, as usual, they will be discussing this past summers garden.
You know, did she water enough, did she plant that in the right spot?




And what about that toad? Did she take good care of him?
All that I can say is that this summer was one of my better one's. And if I must defend myself, I will say that I planted several new perennials. All of which seem to be doing well.

 

This is my mini Pine Tree. I love Conifers!
I can't wait to put a little string of battery operated lights and some cute little ornaments on it.

When I mention this, my husband just shakes his head at me!

I honestly think that this annual ritual of winterizing our gardens would make many people sad. And as pretty as our yard looked this year (it improves year after year) I sort of look forward to it.

I love fall and I love winter. Granted February seems to drag on a bit for me but all in all I can say with honesty that I love each season. Watching the subtle and not so subtle changes still, after all these years, excites me.

Autumn being my favorite season because of the smells and colors. The cooler temperatures and the tasty Autumn treats.
And my most favorite, Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday.
Family gathering to share good food, fellowship, hugs and love.

Winter with it's uncanny silence. Glistening snow. Cozy nights snuggling with a warm blanket, glowing fire and a good book.
Oh and don't forget the hot chocolate with marshmallows please!
And then there is Spring. Filled with new life and hope. The smell of fresh dirt after a good rain and as always seeing that very first green bloom.

Summer brings to mind tasty B.B.Q.'d food. Drinking beer with my husband while playing board games in the yard. Planning out that years garden and the excitement of seeing the blooms and fruits of our labor.
I sure do hope that my garden Gnomes thought I did a good job this year. Our yard may be tiny but it is magical to us. 
I suspect the Gnomes have helped some with that!

So what about you? Are you preparing your space for winter yet?
Do you look forward to winter?
Do you have Gnomes too?

27 comments:

Simone said...

Hello Dianna,
I absolutely don't like winter much. Sure it is pretty enough, but where I live it is far too cold and far too long. Winter here lasts almost half the year, so spring summer and fall, are very short, and all intermingled together.

I once made gnomes for my garden which were very similar to the ones you have. I made them in ceramics class several years ago. I really don't know what became of them, perhaps they found their way to your house. Did you make them or buy them?

I loved those gnomes...even gave them names. I love gardening too. Loved your post.

Simone

Rebecca said...

No gnomes here, but did I EVER enjoy seeing yours! I really do believe they were having a discussion about your successful year in the yard/garden!

I need to be about winterizing our yard. I was really hoping the gusts of wind would sweep our yard clean of all the leaves. There are NONE left on the trees....We have a ton of yard furniture to stack and cover and I have some perennials to cut back.

Next week two of our grandsons are going to be here, so I'm hoping for at least one day of good weather. I'll put them to work!

Diana said...

Hi Simone,
I think if winter lasted that long here, I'd get tired of it too!
I didn't make any of the Gnomes. I bought some, my mom bought some and my daughter-in-law bought some!
They knew I sort of liked them!
Love Di ♥

Diana said...

Hi Rebecca,
I've only started picking up some yard ornaments. Next time that Jake is home we're going to get it all done, if it's not raining!
I hope your grandsons can lend a hand, you can bake them a sweet treat as a reward! Love Di ♥

Wanda..... said...

Love those gnomes Di, especially the ones hanging on the twine. I feel like you, each season has it's own specialness, but spring can make one impatient in February!

I think your Mr. Toad paid me a visit the other day...all most raked him into a pile of leaves, he'll be in my next post, wait til you see how he's grown!

Diana said...

Arrrgggg!! Wanda! I want my Mr. Toad back!! Hopefully next spring, ya think? Love Di ♥

Anvilcloud said...

I don't really mind winter either -- just the length of it.

Your gnomes are cute.

Diana said...

Hi AC,
I look at winter as a time to get projects and crafts done inside!
Glad you like the gnomes, they are getting worn, I should paint them.
Love Di ♥

Terrie said...

Preparing for winter? I think Fall just skipped us here. We went from the 70's to freezing and snow practically overnight. I love the fall to and we were just beginning to see the colors changing on the leaves but the snow went and ruined it all for us. I haven't even had time to pull up my giant dahlia bulbs yet. They were still blooming. I guess I'd better hurry and do that this weekend if the snow melts enough for me to even see my garden. Hugs to you, Terrie

anupama said...

Dear Di,
NAMASTE!
Good Morning!
Winter-yes;we have it very mild in Kerala.Nanda,my sister is in New York now and she tells me it's too cold there.
I loved your description of each and every season.
Di,when is Thanks Giving Day?We don't have formal celebration in INDIA.
Take care of your health.
Amazing positive thoughts and you have filled in me high spirits for the rest of the day!
Wishing you a lovely day,
Sasneham,
Anu

Diana said...

Hi Terrie,
I'm sorry, I hope you can rescue the Dahlias at least. We've had some pretty crappy falls here, this years has been great. Winters here are fairly mild. We don't get a lot of snow! Love Di ♥

Diana said...

Hi Anu,
Thanksgiving Day is November 25th this year. My daughter is coming for the holiday instead of Christmas. She knows Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I haven't seen her since December 2009 so I am very excited!
Our winters here in Southern Illinois are pretty mild too. I will be over to visit you soon! Love and hugs across the miles, Di ♥

Cindy said...

Hi Diana, even though there is snow on the ground, it is supposed to warm up, I still need to drain the pond, put my Buddas away, and put my fountain away until Spring. I really like the seasons as well, each has their magic. I love all your gnomes, they are sure to say what a great job you did this summer. hugs, be well.

Diana said...

Hi Cinner,
I have a Buddha too! Mostly Gnomes though. I hope the snow melts soon so you can get all of that done. Thats why I gathered all of the gnomes. Didn't want to be hunting them down in the snow! Love Di ♥

Vicki said...

Here in NW Georgia, we are still having hot (not warm) days. The winterizing of the garden will happen sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving...when the days begin to actually feel like autumn. We just returned from Pittsburgh,PA where it was a pleasant 60 degrees during the day. On the day we left it was 76! We returned to thunderstorms and warnings of tornados...didn't have any here, thankfully. Bright sun today and a bit cooler so far. Perhaps today will be the beginning of winterizing the garden.
I love hearing about all that goes on in your world and look forward to spending the fall and winter and next spring with you, as well. I only began following you this summer so I am looking forward to hearing about your world in the other seasons of the year. Love & blessings! Vicki ♥

Diana said...

Hi Vicki,
I had thought about the people that live in parts of the country where they don't do much winterizing. California for example. I love the Midwest so much because of the seasons. I have many projects planned for winter. But planning and affording is two different things! We shall see! Love Di ♥

Brenda said...

I do love the Fall as well. I feel sad though when the days get cold and dreary and realize that winter will be here soon. We did our yeard clean-up early because of listing our house for sale. I miss the flowers and even the dead stems. It does feel great to have it done. You do a great job on your garden.

Gail said...

HI DI-

I love that lil pine tree. adorable. AND I love your gnomes. Wow, busy yard!! We just cleaned up the garden and all it's ornaments and the deck stuff too, all put away 'til Spring.

Love you
Gail
peace.....

Diana said...

Hi Brenda,
I don't remember you mentioning selling your home. I would have a difficult time with that. I hope it's all for good reasons and a happier future! Good Luck! Love Di


Hi Gail,
I gathered all of the Gnomes before putting them away and it looked like a meeting! I couldn't resist! I love the little pine too. It is only supposed to get to about six feet! Perfect for decorating! Love Ya, Di ♥

Bernie said...

Hey friend, I have put away deck furniture and flower pots a few weeks ago.....one never knows when show will hit Alberta! Love your gnomes, I only have 3 but then I don't have much of a year either.
Hope you are well, did you get your dryer yet? .......:-) Hugs

Diana said...

Hi Bernie,
I have collected the Gnomes over the years. Many were gifts. Dryer? I had forgotten all about it. That's how soon I'll be getting one!
Love Di ♥

Arlee Bird said...

Not too much changes here in Los Angeles. I miss the colorful leaves, but I'm glad I don't have to rake up any leaves. We don't really change much of anything here and we have a very small yard.

That's quite a collection of gnomes you've got.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Unknown said...

lol no little guys in the yard, just one big one! but a few plastic frogs! everything is still so green right now...ARGH, our lawn is so beautiful and green! the best it has looked all summer because it was so hot this year! we are still watering every other day! can't wait for cooler days...they are coming slowly. have a wonderful weekend, fun pics Di! hugs and smiles across the miles...

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Your gnomes make me SMILE, Di!!! So charming!!! I'm grinning from ear-to-ear...and YES! You did a great job...I'm sure of it!!! You know it is funny...I was just telling my son today that I love this time of year...but that by the time February comes, I'm ready for Winter to be over...February drags for me, too!! You are such a soul sister!!! Love it!!! Love you! Have a great weekend!!! Janine XO

Barb said...

Oh, Di, you're not going to believe this, but returning from our recent trip, your Mom's chair popped into my mind. I wondered to myself if you would shelter it somehow over the winter. Crazy, I know - but - here is my answer! I think your Mr Toad went to visit Wanda for awhile... I just came inside from sowing wildflower seeds on top of the snow. It is my sure-fire method to have blooms next summer!

Angel said...

Very nice photo of garden gnomes :) I have one garden dwarf :))

The Bookworm said...

very nice! I collect gnomes too!! I dont have nearly as much as you do, they are cute :)
http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/