Friday, January 25, 2013

" Where Was I ? "

Oh yeah, I was at the grocery store. I'll bet you thought I was there for quite awhile right? Truth be told, I did give grocery shopping quite a bit of thought after my last post.

I truly was a bit confused as to what I wanted to eat. So many years of pleasing other people, I guess I just forgot what I liked. Well except when someone else cooks for me. I'm not very picky at all when I don't have to think or work for food!!

I did however learn a few interesting things about myself after 54 years. The strangest thing that I discovered was that I don't eat much.

It's true! When no one is around, I don't have much of an appetite. As a matter of fact I think I've lost about five pounds in the last month without even trying. Food, when I am alone becomes a necessity to survive. I really don't have many cravings and do quite well one two meals a day with a yogurt, glass of V8, whole wheat toast with jelly or a few pretzels in between.

Another very interesting discovery that I have made while being alone is that I can live on mostly vegetables and a little fruit. I've had about 12 ounces of fish and 16 ounces of meat, mostly chicken, in an entire week with the rest of my food intake being vegetables, whole grain bread, yogurt and or cottage cheese.

I'm not a huge dessert person. Don't get me wrong here, I love dessert as much as the next person, I just don't crave sweets very much. Example, I buy a large Hershey Dark Chocolate Bar, every two weeks. I have a square or two a day, sometimes skipping a day.
That satisfies that!

When my husband comes home on the weekends I splurge and prepare something special. It's sometimes fattening but not always. Last week I made Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas in which the ingredients included, sour cream and Velveeta. Yeah, that was fattening! But we also had a delicious salad with the help of Lean Cuisine. 

Perhaps you've heard of the Lean Cuisine Salad helpers? They are fairly new and you can find them in the freezer section. See, I found my way around the grocery store after all!!!

All you need is lettuce. There is a package of microwavable black beans, chicken, corn, and red peppers. Just microwave and pour on top of lettuce. Meanwhile there was a nice spicy dressing included along with tortilla strips. I also added sliced onion and avocado. 
Very tasty. My husband even liked it! They have a few different flavors which I am anxious to try.

It's been nice having a candle light dinner with my husband on the weekend. Something we aren't used to doing together and it looks like will be coming to an end now as our Katie has returned home like a boomerang. It's o.k. I wasn't ready for her to leave yet anyway.

But just so you know, I'm not going to let other people dictate how I eat anymore. From now on, I am eating for myself and I rather like it that way. I've taken care of everyone else long enough. It's time to think about myself. At least once in awhile right?

13 comments:

Jackie said...

You go girl!! Eat for yourself...and eat what you like.
So glad to hear that you and Jake have been enjoying those candlelight dinners.
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are happy happy happy that Katie is coming home.
Love you much, Di....and think of you more than you know.
Hugs,
Jackie

Unknown said...

You're doing an awesome job Momma. Glad your Katie Bug is back, I know you must have mussed her, but good to stick to what you like grocery and othersise.

A Lady's Life said...

you are doing the right thing. I fell the same way. If it wasn't for other people I would be eating differently too.

Rebecca said...

I'm going to look up those Lean Cusine salad topper thingies.....(I'm wondering about dressing. That's MY downfall.)

And what an interesting thing to learn about yourself food-wise.

(Wonder what your baby learned while she was away :) )

Shelley said...

Di, I love reading your thoughts. They often warm my heart, cause a tear, remind me that I am not alone on this journey of change. Black Rose is home for the weekend, but is running about with my car as she visits friends and catches up with others. Hubby and me, are still adjusting. Take care.

Shelley said...

And Katie girl is home again too. I nod and smile.

Lynilu said...

I'm glad Katie is home! But don't let that stop you from those candlelight dinners. Tell her that "Saturday is mom and dad's date night," and invite her to go out with friends!

Those salad things sound good. I hate trying to cook for one, and those might just be what I need. Thanks for mentioning them!

Anvilcloud said...

I think I would eat more food and more bad food on my own -- if that were possible.

Dee said...

If I lived alone I would lose 50 pounds....Frank is a foodie...he cooks...and cooks and cooks and in between he talks about it .UGH

Dee said...

Bad me...I forgot to add...I am glad your Katie came back home. Hopefully you will sleep better.

Barb said...

I know you're relieved that Katie is home. But, allow yourself some room for indulging yourself, too. You deserve it Di.

The Bookworm said...

Good for you, eat what you enjoy. It sounds like you are eating healthy anyway. Glad Katie is home with you again.
As for myself, I mostly gravitate towards healthy food anyway. I'm just used to it. I fed my kids fish and veggies early on so it just became a part of their regular diet. I do love snacks too though, don't get me wrong...I love Doritos :p

Tranquility Speaks said...

A vegetarian diet is a great choice I must say! And healthy too. Eat whatever you like, but in moderation and you should be good. I sound like a nutritionist right? I didn't mean too..reading up a lot on diets lately.. sorry about that.