Friday, September 2, 2011

" This One's for You Ginny "

My new Tee-Shirt from Ginny, cool right?







My lovely daughter, Ginny, in a text this morning, suggested that I update my blog. So here I am. Once again apologizing for being gone so long but I've been busy recovering. So here you go my dear daughter and friends.


BILATERAL KNEE SURGERY
POST-OP DAY 18

What can I say, this was a big surgery. While I was mentally and physically prepared for it I really didn't have a clue what I would be going through. Everyone is different.
If you were to ask me what was the worst thing that I've been through during this time, I can say with all honesty that it Wasn't the pain but the lack of sleep at night or anytime for that matter.

The nighttime discomfort is not easily quelled by pain or sleeping pills so it is just something that I've had to deal with on a daily and nightly basis. 

That is until last night. Last night was the first night that I have had any real sleep and slept past 7:00 a.m. for the first time in a long while. So today was a very good day. 

Not only did I get sleep but I climbed and descended 14 stairs with my only assist being my cane and my therapist standing behind me. And just like riding a bike I can tell you that it is easier going down than coming up!

But I did it and felt so elated and so strong afterward, it was amazing. 



Knee's before surgery



Speaking of amazing, apparently that is what I am. Let me explain. I have never in my entire 53 years had so many compliments as I have had in the past 18 days. From doctors to nurses to therapists, supposedly I am really a bionic woman. 



Healing tape and special wrap that allows for showers.


I am rarely using the walker anymore except for in the mornings and evenings. My flexion measurements are already about as good as they are going to get. That means that I can almost straighten and bend my knees as far as they can go. 

I have four sets of exercises that I do everyday like clockwork, which by the way I need to do soon again. I have been working diligently on strengthening the muscles that surround the knee. That is key to getting movement back and above what it was previous to the surgery.



After having staples removed yesterday.
 

Oh and before I forget, having at least forty staples removed is a bitch!! Sorry but it just flat out hurts. My husbands hand was probably sore after all of the squeezing I did to it yesterday while the nurse removed them.

Speaking of my husband, he is pretty amazing himself. He has taken such good care of me and our home and daughter. He waits on me, really. He gets me anything that I want and never complains. Truthfully, I don't think that I could have done a better job. Talk about feeling loved, if that's not true love than I don't know what is.


My daughter, Ginny came for a visit the weekend after I came home from the hospital. She brought me the tee-shirt that I was wearing in the above photo along with a few other awesome gifts! I was so grateful for her visit. At night she would lay in bed with me and have me laughing so hard that I could feel the pain disappear momentarily. I absolutely love the way she can get me laughing. It's a crying shame that gift of hers can't be bottled and sold.

Anyway it was so good to see and hold her in my arms. The best ever medicine. Thank you Ginny, I love you.


This hasn't been an easy trip by any means but I am so determined and stubborn that I knew it wouldn't keep me down for long. It will be a few more weeks or sooner before I can drive. I have to be off of the pain meds first and it's a bit too soon for that. 

Next week is my last week of therapy. After that I am on my own which is fine. I feel good and strong. Stronger everyday.
I still haven't read any blogs at all. I am sorry for that. I'm just not ready yet. Recovery is hard work and it's tiring. But I will get there soon. My husband has to go back over the road next Tuesday and I will be on my own so I am working on doing things for myself again.

That's kind of hard when you have a spouse who waits on you hand and foot!!
I should have plenty of time to start catching up with everyone next week. Until then, hope you have a great holiday weekend and thanks for stopping by.

26 comments:

Rebecca said...

How VERY good to get this detailed update. I'm sure you have much more you can/will tell us in the future. Right now, just take care and get yourself in a good place for when you dear hubby goes back on the road.

This is SUCH good news. And thanks to Ginny for suggesting you uipdate us :)

Gary said...

So glad for you Diana. I sure in few more weeks you will be out and about with no pain. I am excited for you.

quieten said...

HooRay! Such good news from such a strong woman! You look good and sound fantastic. You are such a fighter - I knew you'd come through this with flying colors. You are my hero!!!! Enjoy the time you and hubby have before he goes back on the road. Please remember to take care of yourself so your ready to roll on your own really soon! Love ya, girl. I'm proud of ya! Keep hanging tough!!!!

Sharon said...

This is just great Di! I am just amazed that you are so far along already! I would say they did a great job and so have you!

It won't be hard anymore, once you got over that hump and actually slept. I had a friend that had knee surgery and she couldn't sleep for the longest time, kept waking up with pain in her legs. You are doing wonderfully!

It is nice to know such a determined woman! Have a nice weekend!

jake said...

I love you too sweetie

Wanda..... said...

It's very impressive how great you're doing, Di! You look happy, strong, and ready! Love the Blogger Tee-shirt!

Unknown said...

this is amazing! I am so HAPPY for you DI. I knew you could do it. I love how you are just a fighter...I can't wait to keep up with all your progress. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Keep up the AWESOME WORK! and WORK it is! hugs...

Lois Evensen said...

What terrific news! I'm so happy to hear you are so happy!!! :)

Jackie said...

Great legs, Di!!
I love the t-shirt (Yea, Ginny!)....
AND....I see a blogpost from Jake.
Stop the world!!
Hi Jake!!! You are the best...and as a blogging friend of Di's I want to say "Kudos to Jake...Wonderful doctor/nurse you are!!!"
Hugs and love to you, Di.
I'm right here. Call me at home when/if you feel like it.
Love,
Jackie

Anvilcloud said...

It's good to know that you are doing so well. Attitude is important, and you've got a good one. Take care. I will look forward to your next update. Great T-shirt btw.

Jerelene said...

Hello Diana!
You are looking great!! I am so glad that your hubby is taking such good care of you. Your legs really do look great!! You are quite a lady...you amaze me..I'm glad your daughter was able to come and spend some time with you..making you laugh and bringing you presents:)
I'm keeping you in my prayers dear friend...Love you, Jerelene

Cindy said...

Diana I am so glad that you are doing so fabulous. you must be wonder woman. Continued prayers, so glad you were able to have a good sleep. sending a big hug your way.

Pramoda Meduri said...

Could understand what you would have gone through, anyway.. facing it is real is when the whole strength has to come together..

Nice to read that u are through :)

Take god care Di..

Prams

Joy said...

Thanks for the update Diana, and I am glad you are progessing well! You ARE a determined lady!

Mar said...

Hi there. Should we call you Bionica instead of Diana? LOL Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I haven't been keeping up with my blog or anyone else's, so I didn't know about your knee surgery. I'm glad you are on the mend so quickly. Ya can't keep a good woman down! Saying a little prayer for your continued 'mending'. Mar

Bonny said...

It's so good to hear from you. So glad to hear that you are recovering and healing nicely. Love the shirt!

Ginnie said...

You really are amazing, Diana. I can hear so much recovery in your words and I'm sure it will be all up hill from now on. Isn't it a nice feeling to get the praise and wonderment from the medical staff?
Don't rush but come back to the blogging world when you're ready. I always love to hear from you.

Maria said...

Wow! You've been through a lot and back! So glad to see you up and around! Your family gets 5 stars!
* * * * *
How beautiful it is to feel so loved ~
and you deserve all their love ♥
take care, Diana!
So glad you are doing well!
*Maria

Tamara said...

It's so good to read and see your updates! So proud of you and your progress. I've been having difficulty getting to other's blogs, leaving comments, etc. I'm not sure why, but it could be due to my new laptop.

I'm thinking soon you'll be 'Dancing with the Stars'.

Hugz to you, Di!

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am so glad to read this and rejoice in your successful surgery and recovery. I thought of you and sent prayers. I apologise for not stopping by as often as I used too, but I plan on being a better friend Di.

Only good things are going to happen, I can feel it.

PS, the tape they used, was it Duct Tape.

Blessings my friend to you and the family.

Barb said...

Hi Di, "I am so determined and stubborn..." You said it - I didn't! Glad you're allowing your Family to take care of you and working hard at your PT. I've been off-line for a bit but never stopped thinking of you. Keep up that healing.

Ellen said...

Firstly, you are one tough and inspiring lady God is so pleased with and has blessed tremendously. Secondly, you have such a wonderful husband. Does he have clones? :-) And thirdly, your daughter is a gem.

Such lovely blessings and even more coming from our loving God.

Geezz, I cringed at that part when the staples were removed. Salute to you, my friend. I'm glad that you're now on your way to a wonderful recovery. Thank God.

Blessings to you and your wonderful family, in Christ.

Need A Latte Mom said...

Oh I am so happy for you! I was thinking about you yesterday, ya just popped into my head.
Keep up the good work!
hugs to you
Krista

Eileen said...

Di, you must be so proud of yourself! I can't believe all you've been through and all the work you've put into healing quickly! You deserve all those compliments! And I'm so glad that Ginny was such good medicine for you (and I LOVE her tee shirt gift!).
You're the best, Di, and you deserve the best, and that is my prayer for you.

And it's so good to read about your husband. What a good guy! He's 'a keeper', Di, that's for sure!

LOVE all your photos! You look wonderful! (And you have a nice pair of gams there!)
Love and Prayers,
Eileen

Erik's RV Blog said...

Diana,

I'm glad the recovery is going so well! I guess this is what I'll be going through when I have the same surgery some day. Not looking forward to it but seeing how strong you are and how well you're recovering makes me feel better about it!

Kudo's to hubby as well!

The pictures I took of the cars in Chicago were with my HTC Thunderbolt cell phone, not my new camera. :) The new Canon is too bulky to carry to work with me so when I need to take a quick photo I just use my cell phone which seems to do a pretty good job as long as I keep my hands steady!

Welcome back!

Erik

JoJo said...

Hi Katie, I have never been to your blog before, but I am glad I caught it today. You are doing a great job with recovery. I had both my knees done but not at the same time. I live alone so they wouldn't do it. The first surgery was great. I had been is so much pain I was amazed at how little I had after. But yes the staples were a bitch. Second surgery was this past Febuary it did't seem qhite as good as the first. But I am good now still a little trouble with the total bend but maybe thats all it will ever be. But I can walk and I am pain free. I adopted a dog 2 months ago and I don't think I have walked this much in 3 years.
Good luck to you.
BTW no staples this time some weird stitches.