Tuesday, October 23, 2012

" One of THOSE Days "

And it's not even half way through!!
It all started this morning, well last night actually. I haven't been feeling myself since the surgery. I've been feeling very tired but I chalked that up to having surgery twice within a bit over a month.

My hands are doing great by the way or else I wouldn't be typing right now. No my hands aren't the problem. I started feeling sick last night while trying to sleep. It wasn't until this morning that I realized that I have a cold or something, I think everyone I know has or has had whatever it is that I have!!

Anyway I wasn't going to let not feeling good stop me from my day of thrifting! No sir not me. I started my morning by taking a shower which in turn ticked off my teen who wasn't done getting ready for school. "To bad I say, you're out!" as I kicked her out of the bathroom. Which as it turned out, was good that I did. We had a water main break shortly after that. I did manage to get the shower done before it broke.

No water. None.
Here they are working on it.

They said we would have water in a couple of hours, that was four and a half hours ago. I'm still waiting. Good thing I had four gallons of water in the pantry but that doesn't help when flushing!

I left the water problems and the house behind as I got in my car and left. Heading the thirty or so miles to the thrift shop which is just past my son and DIL's old house that they used to occupy together. That's when the tears started to flow. I don't know what came over me other than sadness for the loss of what used to be I suppose. But I felt the fool driving down the road crying when the whole purpose of the trip was to get away and enjoy myself!!

Road to thrift store.

There's a lot of farmland around here and trees that are looking more and more naked.

How ridiculous I felt driving and crying so I found a good song on the radio, turned it up and dried my tears.

I arrived at the thrift store and as usual had a great time looking around. I had my mind set on some more Autumnal decorations but they were pretty much all gone. I did grab these two little statues however. Last time they weren't priced but today they had a $3.00 price tag on them so I bought them.

I thought they were very cute! I also bought a small vase similar to the one I posted a few weeks ago only this one was orange. I used both of them for my reed diffusers. 

I found a beautiful, brand new, satin, quilted, full size bedspread and shams, again BRAND NEW, the color of my bedroom, for $8.00.

I was going to throw them in the wash to soften them up today but well, no water.

Pleased with my finds today I headed home. On the way I took a detour to my DIL's house. What the heck, right?
I was so glad that I did. I was welcomed with open arms and a cup of tea which I was desperately in need of as my throat was feeling funky not to mention the rest of me.

That was a decision I was glad that I made. We talked and talked just like days gone by. The love is still there and I don't think that will ever change. 

My grandson was home as well so I was able to visit with him a bit before he would be off to pre-school. 

I didn't stay too long as my DIL had to go to work but it was a good visit. I was glad that I stopped. I'm pretty sure she was too.
I really miss her.

I'm on my way home now and it's raining, dreary. Again I turn up the music and sing on my drive home. I make it in the door to find there is still no water as I stated previously. 

Then my daughter Katie calls me from work/school. She works in the cafeteria at school now which is much more convenient than McDonalds as there is no driving involved. Also no late nights.

It seems that she is having a bad day at work. She wants me to call the school and have her sent home. I can just picture my husband right now. I know he would be thinking, if only I could have Di call my work to have them send me home because I'm having a bad day, LOL!!! He'd be home everyday. We'd be homeless!!

I told Katie that she's tougher then that and that she could stick it out for another hour and a half. She's due home any minute and I know she is going to be irritated with me. Teenagers are so much fun (Sarcasm).

I sure hope the rest of the day goes a bit smoother. Water would be nice. I think I'll go make myself a cup of tea and pray they get the water main fixed soon.

So how was your day?

Update: We have water!!!!!!!
Praise Jesus and the City of Mt. Vernon.


Lois Evensen said...

So sorry to hear the day was much less that a great one for you. :(

Our day was much better. We had the inconvenience of Duke Energy turning off the gas (we were warned a couple of days ago) so they could make repairs at the street. It was only supposed to be a couple of hours, but it turned out to be 4 or 5 hours. We just did other things for awhile. We managed to get showers before we were without hot water. Our day turned out OK because we hung out at home waiting for the Duke guy to come back and turn on the gas at our furnace and hot water heater. I finished a sweater for daughter, made a Christmas turtle for my on line store, and now we are getting ready to go out for a birthday dinner at the casino. :)

I hope your day tomorrow is much better and that you aren't too sick with that sore throat.


Diana said...

Hi Lois!
At least you had some warning :)
I hope you have a great dinner tonight, sounds like fun!
Love Di ♥

A Lady's Life said...

You know, sometimes you need a good cry to cleanse the soul.
Your day was not bad. You had fresh air, thrifted, got some nice stuff, had a nice visit and did your Mom job with your daughter.Your hands are getting better.
You got thread to crochet with. You got your water back.Heck girl!
That was a great day !! So smile a little, give your hubby a hug, tell your daughter you love her, and snuggle up in a nice blanky on the couch and have a nice cup of tea.xoxoxoxox

Barb said...

I like your whimsical little statues and they've reminded me to go into the storage room here in Denver and get my Indian Princess and gourds. I love both my D-I-L's too, so know how hard it must be for you. Glad you had a good visit. Feel better soon!

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you were able to stay on the road through the tears - and I'd love to see a picture of your bed with that new quilt/spread when you get it made up!

Praying for your heart today. I hear the hurt but admire you SO for soldiering on and acknowledging the love that exists right along with the pain.

Take care of yourself. Drink lots of water & rest when you can.

Bernie said...

Hello my friend, I am so sorry you had such a bad day.....can only go up from here.....right?
I am glad you spent some time with Amy, I like that you and her still have a caring relationship but I am not surprised, you have always cared a lot for those in your life. Saying a prayer tomorrow is a better day, sending big hugs always.....:-)

Annmarie Pipa said...

I know those days... but the bright side is I guess they make the good days even better!
glad your surgery is behind you and your water is restored!!
hope today is a good day for all of you!

Gail said...

HI DI - great post - reflective of life at its best and worst, right! You are amazing. And good for you that you didn't call up so Katie could leave work. Really, good for you!!
Love Gail

Ginnie said...

Thank goodness there's always tomorrow, Di. Hang in there.

~Kristen~ said...

Sorry to here about all the drama. I dig the good finds as the thrify store. Glad you got your water back!

Dee said...

Thankfully you got your shower and found some good thrift finds and had a nice visit with you DIL and grandson. A good way to fight off the sore throat and blues. I hope things are better today.

sandie said...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day, Diana. I hope today was better. I know how hard it is when families split up. It just takes time to heal the gap that is left in our hearts. Take car, the week will get better!

Julie Hargreaves said...

Great blog

Anvilcloud said...

They said, "Cheer up, things could be worse."

So I cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse.

Maria said...

Hi Diana!
It was so nice to post again last night. I have been so swamped at school and at home... My father got into a car accident a couple of weeks ago, was in the hospital for several days and is now staying with us... He's doing okay, mostly bruised and sore. His car was totaled and it's a miracle that he got out okay!
You have been having your own trials,
But your optimism is still shining through though... You always manage to keep smiling through whatever challenges you!
God bless you, Diana!
Wishing you fast healing and cheerful moments ahead.
- Maria.

Lynilu said...

Days like that .... just stink. But they happen from time to time, don't they?

I'm glad you got water back. It is hard to exist without it! We don't realize how dependent we are until we lose something.

Peace, darlin'! And hugs sent your way!

About Last Weekend said...

Oh Diana - I feel for you. You are having a rock and roll of a ride right now. But you have such a fabulous sense of humour, that and a great song on the radio comes along and its forgotten for a while. I'm like that too. You have the gift of being able to appreciate the small things like a nice cuppa!

Tranquility Speaks said...

I really love the look of your new blog. I am also very happy that you and your daughter in law continue to be close. That is wonderful. There are some things which are not under our control and some that are. I am glad that you've done what you felt was right :)

Tamara Swerline said...

Great post Di! I appreciate your update on life and the DIL. You have great fortitude and love.
Hugz to you!

Rob-bear said...

Well, you had an interesting and mixed day. Good news and bad news. Glad you had a visit with your dil. Glad the water problem was repaired.

BTW, if you're without water, does that give you a dry sense of humour?

Anonymous said...

what a day...and you survived it all even with the not so good feeling you were having at the beginning (well all day actually). I'll have to admit you don't realize how much water you use or how much you take having it available 24/7 till you don't have it. sounds like you found some nice things at thrift store, had a nice visit with DIL and gave your daughter good advice. AND FINALLY YOUR WATER WAS RESTORED :D