Sunday, June 13, 2010

" It's Official ! I'm Insane !"

Yes I do believe that I must be insane to do what I did today. It started out to be a pleasant day. I woke early and had a leisurely morning enjoying my coffee and getting ready for church.

Kate woke up, showered and went to church with her friend while I went to church alone. I sat next to one of our long time members who sings really well. He is a sweet man, I have posted about in the past.

The service was just beautiful. We had a childrens service in which all of the little ones lit the candles, carried the cross, sang, read scripture and then at the end had to announce to the congregation what they were thankful for, one by one. They all did so well, it was just beautiful.

I wore one of my mother's rings to service today and between looking at it, seeing the beautiful little children and singing the hymns, I almost lost it at the end. I was crying. But fortunately I didn't have to go to the ladies room. Going to church is still difficult for me since mom passed away.

After service I ran up to Wal-Mart for a couple of things and then decided to cross the road to Lowes. I just wanted a few more shade plants. They had a BIG sale going on. I ended up with 28 more plants and a 20 pound bag of dirt for $16.00 !

What on earth was I thinking? Twenty-eight more plants to plant in this weather? I don't know what came over me. As I was walking around outside choosing plants, I started to sweat, a lot.

The weather channel said that it "Feels like 100", thanks but I think that I already was figuring this out! 

 
It may not look like a lot but after I got them home, I questioned my sanity. I love to garden, this is not the problem. I hate this heat and humidity, that is the problem. 

It was almost noon by now, Katie came home and we had some lunch after which we both fell asleep. Heat will do that to you ! I woke around 1:00 and watched the weather again, you know, just in case the temperature may have dropped 20 degrees since noon. 

It didn't. So I changed into the least amount of clothing that I could without risking arrest and headed outside to my trusty Lawn Buddy cart. I drank a lot of water and tea. My hose became my best friend once the water stopped coming out HOT!

I worked for a good two or maybe even three hours. It seemed like days. I was only able to get about nine of them in the ground but here is part of the end result....



Did you know that it is very difficult to dig around tree roots? Well it is, but it was sort of fun as it was all muddy and I was all sweaty and wet from hosing myself off ! I don't remember the last time I played in the mud! I am hoping that I can get some more done early tomorrow morning.

My orange Cosmos started blooming this morning....



And the first Rose of Sharon bloomed this morning as well....



And I also saw the first, o.k. are you ready for this ? Are you sure ?
Alright, I saw the first dreaded "Japanese Beetle" ! Yup, time to break out the Sevin Dust people ! I hate those little !@%#  *?  ^&%#$@!

Sorry no photo of them. They creep me out !

Needless to say Kate and I didn't work in the basement today because I decided that digging in the dirt while it is 100 degrees would me more fun! 

So it is official, I am insane !

I have that photo of my granddaughter and her friends having their lemonade stand. Next time they have one, grandma will teach them about marketing! We could make a fortune with these cute kids! My Sarah is on the right and she was a bit bossy I must say. Perhaps she may have a future in management !




I am so, so grateful that you are here and for all of your lovely comments on my posts. I love and appreciate every single one of you. Really I do. 

I feel the need to tell you this because I am afraid that now that you know what an insane woman that I really am, you may never come back ! I wouldn't blame you but I would miss you terribly!

Thank you so much for stopping by! 



O.K. I wanted to add one more thing. There is a new blogger in town. Her name is Danielle. She writes very well and she could use some followers. Please take a moment to visit her at her blog, "Lillies of the Soul". Thank you, I know she would love your visits!

14 comments:

Barb said...

Di - what were you thinking! I know - you got plant fever (esp. since they were discounted). Your coleus planted around the tree look great. I stayed inside because it was so damp and cold here in the mts. However, most of the snow has melted. Tomorrow, maybe I'll be gardening, too. PS You are a little nutty - but in a good and funny way.

Lois Evensen said...

You did such a lovely job with your gardening! :) Those lemonade sellers are lovely, too. :)))

Wanda..... said...

Hi Di...I wonder if Barb meant nutty or batty! Maybe you're both.
Aren't basements cool and the perfect place to be on a hot and humid day? But then you did get to play in the water...that's it... you just used the plants as an excuse to play in water. I may do that myself tomorrow!

♥...Wanda

Anvilcloud said...

We also dusted our beetles, and I think they're history, miserable blighters that they are.

I was moving rocks for our garden today. It was hot enough in the sun, but I think I would have perished with your temperatures.

PS: I'll explain the rocks reference sometime.

jules said...

That sounds like something I would totally do. I don't think you are insane at all...

Jenny said...

The garden looks beautiful - it is soooo difficult to dig around tree roots!!!!

Eeeewwww - beetles ;-)

ethereal-lily said...

28 more plants needs a lot of taking care..that simply shows how much you love to garden :-)

Arlee Bird said...

Wow!! 28 plants is a lot. In my yard after a few days it would probably be 28 dead plants. I'd like to have lots of plants. I agree with you about the humidity. Maybe if you keep planting plants it will help cool the earth some, but I don't know if it would help the humidity.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Terrie said...

I'd say you got a good deal there. Whenever I see sales for plants, it's usually because they were the picked over ones that are pretty much dead. Yours look great. I would have bought them too. You're not insane. You're smart. And by the way, send some of that heat to Utah. It's only around the mid 60's here.
Hugs to you
Terrie

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Well, you can't get rid of me that easy...You're stuck with me!!! I love you because you are just as crazy as I am...and we insane ones need to stick together ;-)

The music is the worst in church...when you are grieving...makes you cry every time...so sorry...I love you.

And OKAY! I'm off to visit her!! Thanks for the head's up! Have a wonderful week, dearest Di!! Love, Janine XO

Amity said...

Hi Diana;

Wow...i stumbled into a lovely place via Pramoda's...:))

I did enjoy this post of yours, because I am like you, too, insane when insanity comes and loved plants the way you do. Too bad, the house front I used to grow ornamental plants is now cemented and I stopped loving to grow plants eversince...:)

You've got a new follower in me, will bookmark you and follow you, promise!

Have a nice day Diana! Do visit if you have time..:))

Rebecca said...

You must have treated that cosmos & Rose of Sharon really well! They are beautiful. I'm impressed with your bargains - they DO look healthy. So many plus dirt for that price?! You certainly are NOT insane.

I keep dabbling with the thought of getting some annuals, but always pass them up. But if I could find them for that price, I think I'd "fold".

Bernie said...

Honestly Di, just popped in from FB and yup, I have missed 2 of your post.....errrrrrr.

You are not insane sweetie, just lost it for a few hours but oh your yard is going to look so nice.

Glad you made it through the church service, I was the same when my hubby passed away, but not for my son or my mother. Perhaps it is just the first death that we are so close to, hang in there sweetie. Big hugs.......:-)

Maria said...

Hi Diana!
Oh wow... it must be sooo hot there... today it was near 80 and that's already getting too much for me... I love it when it's around 70~

Your sweet gardens are really coming along... and I know what you mean about the beetles... They just tortured my few little rose bushes last year. This year, I've sprayed them with some organic stuff from Agway. It seems to work, but I'll bet they need more after the rain we had this past weekend.

The kids look like they're having a great experience as little entrepreneurs... good for them!!!
I'll stop over and visit Danielle... so nice of you to introduce her!
Hope you're having a "cool" week, Diana!
~Maria