Wednesday, July 21, 2010

" Yard Work. It Does Pay Off !! "

This past Saturday, as hot as it was, my husband and I did quite a bit of yard work. Most of the time we spend doing our yard work, it is focused on the backyard as we've really gotten it looking good now and enjoy sitting together back there.

We have been gradually adding plants and bushes to the side of the house where the driveway is. It is amazing what a few plants can do for a new look!

We have not totally neglected the front yard by any means. When we bought our home there were four huge bushes in front of the porch. Jake would have to trim them a couple of times a year. I hated them. When I wanted to sit on the stairs, my view of the street was completely blocked. So my husband, being head over heals in love with me, agreed to rip them out!

It was a lot of work. And I did fall more in love with him after that chore!
Last summer I painted the porch, to match the shutters, that my head over heals in love with me husband put on the house at my insistence!
Half of our front yard is shaded. So little by little we have been adding Hostas. We both love them and have a few different types planted but we intend on planting many more.

We have added a Willow bush and a forsythia bush. I have two beautiful large Mexican clay pots filled with lush plants and flowers on either side of the porch.

There are also four mobiles and two hanging planters filled with purple and white petunias. I put a statue of an angel that belonged to my mother, on the porch and also a metal trellis that reads "Welcome" that also belonged to my mom, as a backdrop to the Hosta's.

So this past Saturday, my husband mowed and trimmed while I meticulously weeded all around the Hosta's and bushes. After which, that evening, my husband who is head over heals in love with me, drug  the industrial strength hose out to the front yard and watered all of my plants for me.

It was hot, so we watered each other as well, all the while singing "Give Peace a Chance" ! It was fun!

As it turned out, I am so glad that we did all of that work in the front yard. You see it really paid off. 

Vehicles have been slowing down all day to look at my house. 
Or maybe it is because of whats in front of my house?

You tell me.......




Yes it is an honest to goodness Hippie bus! It appears that they have friends and or relatives that live across the street. 
So you see, yard work does pay off.

You should be prepared.

You just never know when an honest to goodness Hippie bus may park in front of your house!

Today's post was my 300th. I shall celebrate, as I am an old Hippie at heart!

PEACE, 
LOVE  DI ♥

19 comments:

jules said...

That bus rocks. I love it!

Mar said...

Oh Diana, I wish I could sit on your porch have a cool drink and admire what all your hard work has brought about. It all sounds so lovely. Hostas are a favourite of mine. I have several in my garden. Enjoy, enjoy as summer is so short. <3 Mar

Bernie said...

Would love to see pictures, and I think your weekend with Jake was great as you played in the water.
I bet it does look really nice.

My gosh I haven't seen a hippy bus like that in years.

Really hot here today as well and it still is tonight.....:-) Hugs

Amity said...

Hi Di!

I could feel the carefree ways you and your hubby had, watering each other aside from your plants. yes, those are wonderful and blissful moments especially so that he is seldom home and yeah, whenever he does things for you, you always fall in love the more, head over heels...:-)

Keep the love alive Di! Hubby and I also does the same way though in different manner whenever he's home.

I am so excited. Now counting only days and he will be signing off from the cruise ship where he works to take a six weeks vacation. Too short huh! But we will maximize our time of being together...I know you could relate to this... ;)

Anvilcloud said...

Haha: they come from far and wide to view your world famous gardens.

Amanda said...

Di,
Happy 300th post!!!! =) I love planting things, but have such a brown thumb it's terrible. I love the picture of the bus, it makes me smile!!! And, I love to hear that you and your husband play in the yard while doing work--that depicts such a beautiful relationship between the two of you.
Now it's time to sit with some lemonade on your porch and enjoy all the work you did!!!
~Amanda

Wanda..... said...

Hippie Flower Children love flowers Di, they may be attracted to yours. Makes me think you should put a flower in your hair and take a photo of yourself in front of their bus, if it's still there!
♥...Wanda

Donna's Book Nook said...

You've really done a lot of work, but I know you're enjoying it. Glad you could work and "play" at the same time!

I agree with Wanda, dress the part and take your picture with the bus. Would love to see pics of your flowers as well.

Connie said...

Happy 300th post Hippie child :)
Love the bus! I love the snippets from your garden as well. I have good intentions but the heat gets to me! Since you posted about your toad house I have been seeing them in Marshall's (and rabbit ones)

Gail said...

HI DI-

COngratulations on the 300th post.!!! wow!! AND I love the hippie bus - we are ole hippies here, a bit disheveled and cranky but hippies all the same.

I am facing this healing challenge as best I can - one step at a time,

Love you
Gail
peace and hope.....

Maria said...

Hi Diana!
Wow HAPPY 300th!!!
Amanda and I were just talking about you ... saying how sweet, fun and so very genuine you are!
Thank you for your wonderful posts and for the time you take to visit all of us!
Many of us are "hippies" at heart ♥ and want a bus just like that!

Your gardening has inspired me ... yesterday I brought home a flat of impatiens to plant...They were $6 for six packs of 12 plants at Walmart!

Gardening with a loved one can be such a beautiful experience... There's talk and there's also that sweet togetherness when words are not needed...
I can tell you and Jake just love each other so much!
God bless you always, Diana!
I love you blog, congrats on 300!
*Maria*

ps. When I refresh your blog page, there is a warning on the top left cornner today saying that your background will change this Friday... It's from the cutest blog people.

Barb said...

Hi Di, A great 300th post! I can picture your yard in my mind - I'd love to sit with you and admire the Hosta, but I'm afraid it's too hot for me, even if you'd spray me with the hose. Glad you got a pic of that bus - priceless! They'll be running tours by your house soon. How's Katie doing with Ginny?

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

What a Happy Post to read, I am glad that you both had some time together. Glad that you could use something of your Mum's with your flowers.

I could see me driving that Hippie Bus. Are you sure one of the Partridge's didn't stop by?

YOu have a Great Rest of the Week and Weekend.

Wanda said...

I think a lot of us are "Hipppie's" at heart! I've been accused of it, and also dressing like a gypsy. Love long skirts and funky jewelry.

We need to work in our back yard so badly...thanks for the inspiration.
Wonder if a bus will show up if we do!!

Delightful post Di....love ya.

Ginnie said...

You'll have to tell us more about the "Hippie Bus" ... where are they headed, etc, etc. It's an eye-catcher for sure!

Cindy said...

Oh your yard sounds wonderful, and now I know where my bus is! lol, take care have a great weekend.

Rebecca said...

Like everyone else, I can't wait to see that front yard! The hippie bus is a hoot!

Sounds like you and Jake are VERY much in love these days :) Don't they say "the family that gardens together STAYS together"?

Take it easy in this heat though! Or do I remember you saying it cooled off there? Hoping for a cool off here--SOON!

Pramoda Meduri said...

All of u rock.. best wishes to all..:

have a nice weekend..

Sabi Sunshine said...

Dear Di, i love the hippie Bus i wish it would be infornt of my parkway. Congratulation on 300th post.. You must celebrate and wish you all the best for upcoming post.


Love
Sunshine