Friday, January 1, 2010

" What's All The Hullabaloo ? "


Well here it is January 1st 2010. And I just don't understand all of the hullabaloo.
I never have. O.K. I get the fact that it's a new year and people run around promising
themselves and others that this year will be better.

They will loose weight, quit smoking, be nicer to their loved one's etc.
What I don't understand is why we need an excuse like a date on the calender to improve ourselves.

The way I look at it is that if you need a specific date to force yourself to do something that you really don't want to do in the first place, why not pick your own birth date?

Otherwise if you really want to loose weight or quit smoking or whatever it may be,
just do it. I really think that celebrating " New Years Eve " is just an excuse to party.
Do we really need an excuse?

I know that in my house, all I have to do is pick up the phone to call my son and say
" I'm cooking dinner ". This would be such a shocking statement from me that my entire family would be here in a flash with forks in hand. There you go,
instant party.

Perhaps we celebrate " New Years Day " because January is such a boring month.
There are no holidays in which the entire nation has the day off of work.
What am I talking about. There aren't ANY holidays anymore in which the entire nation gets the day off of work. But that is another post entirely.

January, for most of us, is long, cold and boring. Unless there is a beautiful snowfall
that grants us a snow day, January is a long, cold and boring month.
So I say that we declare some new holidays in the midst of January.

Here's an example of a good one. " Look, the Sun is Out Day!".
You could quickly call family and friends to have over for a January barbecue. My husband and I have actually done this. Yes while living in Chicago in two feet of snow, my husband the die hard barbecuer was out there in the freezing temps, grilling away so that we might have a taste of summer.

Or how about January 15th? We could call it "January is Dragging On and On Day"
On this day everyone would be able to take off of work at noon and prepare for
an appetizer and Martini evening for friends and co-workers. Oh and did I mention that your boss would pay for it?

How about the kids? Oh never mind about them. They have day's off of school at the drop of a hat. You do realize that all of those teacher in-service days are actually
pizza and keg parties? You didn't really think that they were having meetings about
our children did you? Those teachers know how to make their own holiday so why can't we?

I have always felt this way about " New Years Eve " . I have only stayed up until
midnight five times in my fifty plus years. And it was no big deal. Just another year older. But what the heck, I suppose it's a good excuse as any for a party!

19 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Hooray! Thank you Diana for being back in good form and starting my day with a laugh. While quietly watching that ball drop in Times Square last night...the family was joking about how strange all the wild jumping and hoopla was...it seems to be celebrated differently these days...used to be more sentimental. I would have preferred watching and listening to Elvis Presley!

Hope 2010 is a good year for you and your family!
Love,
Wanda




pick up the phone to call

Gail said...

HI DI-

We have never liked the New Year's Eve hub-bub either!! We don't make resolutions because, thank God, most of what we do, or don't do, or adjust to, is on going as life presents itself - we love hard and work hard and live simply, ya know? I know you know. :-) Great post, wonderful you.

Love Gail
peace.....

jules said...

I so agree!!! I think we should create our own Holidays in January since it is a long cold boring month here in Wisconin...

Teresa said...

See! I knew you would be bouncing back soon! I think you are absolutely right...I hate New Years Resolutions too, and they always make you feel bad when you don't keep the promises you make to yourself. We have a New Beginning every morning...and I was thinking about Holidays for the Boring Month of January, and I couldn't think of anything, but we could certainly all stay up until the "sun goes down"! At least here in Canada, I think it is dark at 4:00 pm these days, but we could celebrate the days getting longer! Glad you are back Di, and you did make me laugh...Have a wonderful new year!!! (((Hugs))) TT

Bernie said...

I've seen a few signs of the old Di before but this post is all you, I love it.

C'mon Di it is fun to spend the night together with friends, opening the back door to usher out the old year then opening the front door to welcome in the new year. It gives us all a reason to start over and we have 12 months to do it....now quit being cranky and get some the New Year's Spirit.
So happy you are feeling your old self, take it easy sweetie the grief comes and goes but I love knowing you are working through everything.....luv you:-) Hugs

Jackie said...

Here's my friend! Yes, Di...keep on keeping on.
I was at Tamara's blog and read her devotional, and it was saying that every day with God is a new day...and that's the way it should be. It's nice to see the calendar change...(gives me a chance to put up a new one so that I can forget the dates that are marked on them)..:))
You are one sweet and wise woman, my friend....and I'm smiling and nodding my head as I read your post...thinking...there's my Di.
There's my friend. You go, girl.
Hugs,
Jackie

Rebecca said...

I was just about ready to write a post about "Why is everyone afraid of New Years Resolutions" but decided not to! Just too darn controversial! I see your point. And I don't CALL mine resolutions....I just love new starts--I guess because I need them!

Even when a child, I LOVED being handed a brand new sheet of drawing paper. In that sense, you are right - every morning is a new beginning. I guess new YEARS ask to be celebrated with a little excitement and noise, too.

Eileen said...

Well, now, when I was younger (MUCH, MUCH younger!) I LOVED New Year's Eve and I would 'party-hearty'!
These days, I would much prefer to be in bed asleep!
Last night Ray's brother and nephew (and one of his friends) came over, it was quiet, my sister-in-law was supposed to come too but her plane got held up so she didn't make it. But it was nice to have family around, and in a little bit the 'kids' will be coming and we'll just order pizza, and I do feel like you, we don't need a special day to make a party, but it is nice to have an excuse sometimes (especially in the winter, we don't do much at all during the winter).

I remember my Mom always hated New Year's Eve, and she was kind of sour about the New Year too, but I can't remember what that was all about. I just remember she didn't like this holiday at all. I guess she thought along the lines of Diana!

I like new beginnings, kind of gives you hope, but this is the first year in years and years that I've made resolutions (because I ALWAYS break them!), but I'm giving it one more try, so you better be a good friend and give me some support!! Tell me you believe in me! Tell me I can do it! Give me a crumb here, PLEASE!!

LOVED this post, Di!
LOVE YOU!, E

Donna's Book Nook said...

It's good to have you back. That's the Di we know and love! And you are probably right--we should make our own fresh starts, and have holidays anytime we feel the need for one!

I've never been one to truly celebrate New Year's eve, but I do use it as a time to reflect, and set some goals for the next year.

Have a great week!

Dee said...

About the only thing that makes New years Eve special for me is my husbands sweet soft kiss...even if he does have to wake me up for it. :) And each decade that rolls by finds me more grateful to still be on this earth.

anupama said...

Dear Diana,
NAMASTE!
hey,the first day of the New Year,don't get furious.January has more working days but in India we do get holiday on 26th of January being Republic Day.then we get holiday for 14th for religious cause[Makar Sankranti].
For taking resolutions New Year Day or as you said,birthday is the right choice.
let there be a special day,no harm which makes people think to quit their vices.there is abeautiful tomorrow and only with hopes and dreams we can make life beautiful.
Wishing you and your family A Wonderful New Year filled with happiness,health and prosperity,
Sasneham,
Anu

Barb said...

Oh - goody - the "old Di" is back. I am too old to fully appreciate New Year's Eve. In fact, my kids are too old! If you want to proclaim a special January holiday, I'll celebrate it. Meanwhile, I need to get some exercise because I've been doing way too much sitting and reading for the last week. Maybe we could have a "Get Off Your Butt Day!"

All Dolled Up Doll Clothes said...

I made a new years resolution several years ago to Never make another New Year's resolution and for my entire life, this is the one resolution have not defaulted on. As far as partying on the eve, in our 32 years of marriage, I believe we have been to one party. My hubby is not so much of a party person and for so many years, he has worked so I've been alone anyway. Although I would like to celebrate, it just won't happen. oh well. Regardless, I do wish a happy, healthy and prospersous 2010 to you.
Hugs
Terrie

Maria said...

Hi Diana!
I always say...
Any time we're all together... It's a holiday!

I like Barb's 'Get off our butts" day!
Take care, Diana!
~Maria

Maria said...

ps. I love your new background and photo!

Unknown said...

She'ssssssssssss BAAAAAAAAACKKKK! that's what I'm talkin bout! WhaWho! and DITTO! LOVE and HUGS girlfriend! LOLOLOLOL (sigh)

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Oh how I agree with you Di, New Years is way overrated and just an excuse to party.

I never make resolutions, I just make up my mind that I am going to do something and I usually get it completed.

As for New Years I spent it with just the cats had a quiet supper then called friends from away.

Happy New Year Di, all the best for you and your family for Two Thousand Ten

quieten said...

Just catching up...again!:-) i agree with you on the whole New Year's thing. I personally think of my birthday as my new year's day! It completes one year of my life and starts a new one! Not that I make any resolutions - I decided long ago they were just lies I told myself!!
Hope you are taking care of yourself. I think of you often and send prayers for a peaceful day.
Huggz,
Quieten

Tranquility Speaks said...

Oh Diana! You've a rocking sense of humor! I've always advocated the concept of a mid week holiday and most probably I will see it implemented in my lifetime! What you say makes sense. No arguments there. I think most people celebrate just to keep up with others who are celebrating! No one wants to be left out! Glad to see you active and back. Loads of love and lots of hugs :)