Wednesday, August 11, 2010

" If You Want Happy, You've Come to the Wrong Place!"

I am taking a teeny time out from our day trip posts to complain a bit. I feel the need to blow off some steam!




It all started on Saturday while my husband was still home. The weather was still fairly pleasant as Fridays was and my husband and I had planned to do the yard work that day. 

He mows and uses the gas trimmer while I do the hand weeding. Over the years our neighbors on both sides of our house, only mow. They don't weed. So all of there weeds from both houses grow up and over our fences. So much so that we have had to go on there side to chop through it all and yank out the big ones.

They don't seem to mind. Neither one has said a word. Keep in mind that between the two houses there lives approximately three people under the age of forty and five people under the age of twenty.

I have asked nicely once if they had anything to help combat the weeds. They (both houses) said "No, sorry". O.k. so Jake and I keep taking care of the weeds at our expense. 

Well if you haven't guessed by now, I have gotten poison sumac (which by the way is taking over all of the fences) again. The second time this year. Not to mention the three times in the years past that I have acquired poison ivy from the same circumstance.

It all gets so buried under other weeds that I don't see it until it's too late. Sometimes I don't even see it at all. I am just a hard worker and sort of go crazy ripping it all out.

I am not stupid, I just try to be a good neighbor. As does my husband. We have helped our neighbors in the past many, many times.

Well I finally have had enough. Besides having this horrible poison sumac on my arm, it has taken me three days to get over the pain from this work. I can't do it anymore. So I finally called the city. I really didn't want to do it but I have been having to deal with this problem for several years now and I just can't take it anymore. 

I met with the city inspector yesterday and he agreed that the problem was way more than Jake and I could handle anymore. So he is going to mail them a letter. If they don't comply after so many days, the city will take care of it and then bill them directly.

Gosh I felt so horrible about this but I am at the end of my rope here. I am to the point where I cannot take a step without my knee hurting. I have found myself sitting much more than usual because of it. My shots are not working anymore. My doctor said that I could have the knee replacement done whenever I felt ready. It is that bad. He also told me that they have a knee that may last up to twenty years and they are working on one that's even better. This was last year.

While my husband was on vacation we had a serious talk. He asked me what my fears were about the surgery. I have many. Not the least of which is money. While we do have insurance, pretty good insurance, it still doesn't cover everything and we really don't know if they will cover any physical therapy as in the past they haven't. 

Anyway I told Jake that I was waiting for some sort of sign. He explained that he thought constant pain was a pretty good sign. About fifteen minutes later while watching a show on television, there was this commercial for a new thirty year knee. Wow. Jake and I looked at each other and he said "There's your sign Di !".

So I guess when I go to my ortho doctor in September, we will have the conversation. It would be to our advantage for me to do this before the first of the year as I have met my deductible for this year. Jake still has two weeks of vacation coming and can take more time if need be. 

Now this is all just a plan right now. God only knows what will and can happen between now and then. All I know is that I am in constant pain and the strain is starting to affect other parts of my body. I wanted to put this off a while longer but I don't think I can wait much longer. This is effecting every step I take.

Sunday it started to get hot again. Jake and I planned on doing laundry as he was to leave Monday morning. We made it through two loads when the clothes dryer went Kaplooey! It was over twenty years old. I just threw $175.00 into it a few weeks ago. The whole control panel went which I knew was going to happen eventually. I was told that it would just be cheaper to replace it. So I am saving my money for a new dryer.

In the meantime it's the laundromat and clothes lines for me. More strain on the knee. I thank God that I have Katie here to help me. She is a strong girl.

I have more photos of our day trip ready to post. I was going to post it today. But after sitting in that hot laundromat with my arm burning, itching, and blistering and now my knee aching horribly, I just felt the need to whine today. 

If you managed to make it through this entire complaint post, Thank You. You're an angel !            Love Di

19 comments:

Lynilu said...

Well, darlin', I was going to tell you I'd make a call for you since I was on such a roll today, but by gum, girl, you got your own spine stiffened and did your own!! Woohoo!

Neighbors like that just suck. I was about to suggest roundup sprayed for 5-6 feet inside their fences, but I know that would only make your situation worse. I think you made the right choice. :)

Good luck with the knee business. I know none of us look forward to surgery, but it sounds like you really need to get it over with. Blessing, dear.

Wanda..... said...

Well Di, it seems you had no choice, but to call about the weeds and maybe the knee replacement is just what you need. The added aggravation of the poison ivy might be enough to help you definitly make that decision!

I'm sorry to hear about the dryer, although I like to hang some things on a line, dryers make life easier. Hope you get one soon and that the laundromat is close.
♥...Wanda

Andrea said...

You did the right thing regarding your neighbors.
As for the knee, I understand and I am putting it off as long as I can. I only have what we call catastrophe insurance since my hubby was forced to retire about 2 years ago. We live comfortably, but can't afford huge medical bills. So, I am waiting until I can't stand it anymore. Did I mention I need 2 knees. I am also not looking forward to that!
Hugs,
andrea

Diana said...

Wow I thought everyone would think I was a bad neighbor! I hated to do it, kept putting it off.
Thanks everyone! Love Di ♥

Diana said...

Hi Andrea,
My other knee is going too. Another reason that I want to get this one done first. I don't want to have them done at the same time! I hope you can have it done soon.
Love Di ♥

Brenda said...

Oh my Diana,

Please have your knee surgery. Your health is so worth the expense. I was so sorry to hear about your difficulty with the neighbors and then your dryer. You did need to vent. I hope that joy will come in the morning for you.
I prayed for you as I read your post. Have the surgery--ASAP!

Brenda said...

Also--dealing with poison ivy--oh my! Your plate is full. So sorry. Telling it like it is -- is not complaning. I feel bad for you!

Bernie said...

Ahhh you have had a rough day....I don't like the thought of the poison Ivy or your knee hurting so I too am glad Katie is there with you.
I hope the neighbours will still be friendly Di, but something has to be done....and it shouldn't be you and Jake haveing to do it all.
I hope tomorrow will be a better day for you and that you are able to get a dryer soon.
I am off to buy a new laptop tomorrow, my computer is dying a slow death.....should be fun setting everything up again.
Take care my friend, luv ya...Hugs

Cindy said...

Diana, it is time your neighbors do their part, that should not be left for you and your hubby. A 30 year knee, you would be in so much sless pain I think. In the meantime try to take it easy. I really like the look of your blog, take care, be well.

Amity said...

Hi Di;

Your neighbor is as bad as mine! Maybe there really exists insensitive people like them which could really piss us always!

I feel bad about your condition Di, knee and all...I too am suffering from back pain brought about by poor posture at work maybe!

I did away from laundry and would have to ask someone do it for me twice a week bec if I do it myself, I could no longer stand up!

Please take good care of yourself and your health. Don't overwork. Health is wealth you know! That golden adage we must take by heart!

Have a great weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

Our neighbours two doors down are slobs. They have thistles taller than me in the backyard and usually have dog do lying about. They're about our age. The young boys right next to us are much better.

Gail said...

HI DIANA-

Good for you about involving the "city" to deal with the weeds and thus your neighbors. geesh.

ANd about your knee - well, I SO understand about being in pain and how difficult it is. And dare I say I wish there were a "procedure" for MS pain but there isn't. And Di- that doesn't mean I don't understand your fear because I do - I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to anything medical. But a new knee that lasts 30 years??!! ANd you will be pain free??!! Hallelujah.

Love and understandng
Gail
peace andhope.....

Rebecca said...

I read through your ENTIRE post (and I'm no angel)! I'm very sympathetic to your plight. Right now, we have two vacant houses on either side of us! One of them does the very minimum and didn't want to help with expense of cutting dead limbs off their tree that hung over our roof). At the other, the bank has hired someone to mow...but that's ALL that they do. The weeds are growing up to the first story roof along the sides of the house, and weeds fill the fence between us and them. It's a mess.

Re. the knees...I'm glad you saw the "light"! Your Jake sounds very wise. I hope you can get scheduled soon so that by NEXT summer you will not have to deal with this kind of pain.

I thank God with you for your strong daughter and pray that everything will work out soon for your relief.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sorry to read that the neighbours are acting the way they are. You had to do what you had to. Maybe they will smarten up now.

Go get that knee replaced Di, it isn't fun to be in constant pain, It sounds as it is a Sign from Above that ad that was on your TV.

FIngers crossed you get your new dryer soon, you are lucky to have Katie around to do the lifting.

Rae said...

I am living in the same situation as you. I have called the city too. It does little good. I can no longer handle my neighbor's weed problems and neither can my hubby. I don't have an answer. Some people have no business being homeowners - they seem to forget that owning a home means taking care of the outside too. You did the right thing. I hope you get results.

Unknown said...

Oh dear my sweet friend Di! That is complaining? Wow! I think you did really well "not" complaining! Pity Party! that's what you and I both need, a good old fashioned pity party! sounds good eh? I am all for it...we can whine and laugh and then take some pain pills...LOL I think you are so justified in the "weed" department! I hope they get their act together, there is nothing worse than neighbors that just don't care! I hope you just decide to take care of yourself with the surgery! scary I know...but you will be fine...hugs and smiles! loved your post!

Terrie said...

Hi Di, As I started reading about the neighbors and the weeds, I kept saying to myself, "she needs to call the city" and by golly, you did. We have the same issue with our next door neighbors.

I know of three people that have gone through knee replacement surgery and non of them regret it. Tey do regret waiting as long as they did so with that said, you do what you feel is best for you. Either way, I will keep you in my prayers.
Hugs to you
Terrie

Vicki said...

Would you like some cheese with your whine? jk! I don't blame you for complaining about your neighbors weeds. Weeding is hard work and the older we get the harder it is. Glad you decided that you have had enough. So sorry about your poison sumac.

I'm glad you've decided to go for the knee replacement. My SIL has had both replaced in the last two years. It was her second replacement for both knees and she says it is so much better this time than the last. She is 78 and walks like a new woman...says she wants to go back to work!

Tranquility Speaks said...

Oh dear! I wish I could press your legs to get you some relief. Please don't procrastinate the knee replacement surgery. Whatever the insurance can't take care, you sure can. And it will be easier than what you have to endure. Here is an honest prayer to God to bring you physical and monetary relief. Loads of love and a giant hug :)